Why exceptions for error handling is so important

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 15 13:02:57 PST 2015

On Thursday, 15 January 2015 at 19:37:33 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> Now, for a more generic library, you are right that using
> exceptions in this way is not a good idea. The crucial
> difference is IMO that in an MVC framework the application code
> is the one down the stack, while in many other applications it
> is further up the stack. Therefore, the use of exceptions
> (which always propagate upwards) have to be assessed
> differently.

FWIW, although the framework I use provides exceptions for
returning HTTP status, I don't use them. I have my own
super-class request handler that captures everything so that I
can "reformulate" caught exceptions into something that fits the
REST api I expose, which have to fit what browser support (like
IE9)...

The only problem I see is if the "exception type system" lacks an
ontology that the framework can rely upon.E.g. that a function
pass the exception on, but mistakenly executes an action because
it makes a classification mistake. But that is more a problem
with having an inadequate/unspecified/fuzzy exception
classification mechanisms...

The language could define an ontology that allows you to express
"pass through unknown", "not a failure", "no rollback" or similar
as part of the exception type. Finding the exact right semantics
is perhaps tricky, but also an area where there is room for
practical innovation.