css minification

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 16 13:44:13 PST 2015

>>> That's part of the protocol, right? We should be doing that anyway.
>>> Anyhow, the css is really hot and comments just add to it, compressed or
>>> not. -- Andrei
>>
>> I think this is way over-optimization.
>>
>> If the system already sends gzipped, I don't think any kind of
>> minification is going to improve enough to the point of justifying all
>> this.
>>
>> (Dons Walter hat): have you profiled to see how much it saves?
>
> Well good point. As of January two of the css files are in the top 3
> most trafficked files off of dlang.org, second only to favicon.ico.
> dlang.org bytes transferred. I'd say improvements would be measurable.

Well, this is looking at the wrong statistic. I don't care how much of
the overall bandwidth it is, what I was asking is how much does the file
shrink if you minify. Saving 1% file size isn't going to put any kind of
dent in the traffic.

> BTW are there ways to compress favicon.ico better? It's #1 with 10.28%
> of all hits and 16.27% of all bytes transferred.

On an embedded product we have with a dead-simple web server, there is
terrible network performance. Adding gzip support saved way more than
minification ever could. But the best performance improvement was to add
caching support to the server. Both the browser and the server have to
cooperate there.

-Steve