10 Tips for Better Pull Requests

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 16 15:33:00 PST 2015

On 1/16/2015 2:59 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Github already has a feature for sorting the PR list by most recently
> updated, least recently updated, oldest, newest, etc., etc..
>
> It's just a matter of setting the *default* sorting order. I don't know
> if github supports that, but for a long time now I've been wishing that
> the PR page should default to "most recently update" instead of
> "newest", as it is now.

Yes, I'd like to change the default.

> Some companies, in the name of reining in the number of open bugs,
> resort to closing "inactive" (but nonetheless valid) bugs after a given
> amount of time. Sure, it reduces some integer on somebody's statistics
> page, but did it increase the quality of the product? Nope. Did it
> reduce the amount of work needed? Nope, on the contrary, it *increased*
> it, since later on some other customer inevitably runs into the same
> problem whose bug report got closed down, so now we have extra overhead
> for (re)processing the "new" bug, and repeating the research that has
> been buried in the dusts of bugtracker history in order to get back up
> to speed with the problem.

Yup. I fail to see how automatically closing PRs after X days can possibly
result in an improved quality of the product.

And even worse, it can result in someone unwittingly doing work to submit a new
PR that solves the same problem. We can't afford people wasting effort like that.