10 Tips for Better Pull Requests

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 17 06:33:24 PST 2015

On Saturday, 17 January 2015 at 11:52:03 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2015-01-16 19:50, deadalnix wrote:
>
>> It is better to have some kind of bot that comment on the PR
>> after a
>> while. Like "hey, this PR is hanging, can someone make thing
>> go forward
>> or I'll close in 2 more month". That generate activity on the
>> PR and is
>> often a wake up call for people.
>
> Ruby on Rails has something like that for their project.
> Although there's a huge unfairness if a reviewer never replies.
> Just because a reviewer doesn't reply doesn't mean the problem
> (i.e. a bug) goes away. Yes, they're using this for issues.

The whole thing would be much easier if github issues were used
instead of bugzilla -- for one thing, it would automatically
mention it in a pull request (or an issue) if it was mentioned
anywhere in another issue / pull request which makes browsing and
figuring what relates to what much easier (instead of having to
search bugzilla / forum / pull requests here and having three
different places to register things at). Just my 2 cents...