10 Tips for Better Pull Requests

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 17 06:44:52 PST 2015

> Informative is fine. Basing decisions on metrics unleavened by
> contextual judgement isn't going to work well.
>
> It isn't just one metric. I've personally seen it multiple
> times with various metrics, and regularly read in the news
> about counterproductive results obtained by using metrics
> absent judgement. The "zero tolerance" policies schools have
> are a stellar example, where students get punished for chewing
> a pizza into the shape of a gun.

+1.  Dr Iain MacGilchrist at All Souls, Oxford, has written a
whole book about the mindset behind mistaking abstracted
representations of the world for the world itself.

Would it be worth considering a simple portal where people can
vote on pull requests with a comment, and then at least one can
see them ranked by what people find important?  This is
susceptible to all the usual problems of democracy, but it might
be an improvement.

Laeeth