dlang.org should do it in style

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 17 14:24:48 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:04:56PM +0000, MattCoder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 January 2015 at 19:35:01 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >A tested PR would be great. Who can take this? -- Andrei
>
> A last note about this: using "width:1024px"  will fix the mobile
> "wrap-text" problem, but the site will look like this on higher
> resolutions: http://i.imgur.com/MZSmn87.png  (Look the space on the
> left and right).
>
> So another solution would trying to set "min-width:1024px" on body
> tag, so the site will continue to be the same as is today even on
> higher resolutions, and I'm pretty sure this will correct the problem
> above on mobile devices. If anyone change I'd be glad to test.
>
> PS: I'm assuming 1024 pixels because it's used as minimum standard
> these days.
[...]

I rather that we use font-based metrics (e.g. 40em) instead of pixel
sizes. That way the layout won't break or look horrible if the user
changes the default font sizes (e.g. for special needs, etc.) or doesn't
maximize his browser window.

But that's just my opinion.

Also, I am skeptical of a single style that will work for both desktop
and mobile browsers. Isn't that what mobile stylesheets are for? We can
have the same content, but we shouldn't break the desktop layout or make
it look laughably spaced out just for the sake of mobile devices. Let
the mobile devices have their own stylesheet.

Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.