css minification

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 17 23:11:40 PST 2015

On Saturday, 17 January 2015 at 20:17:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/17/15 12:00 PM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>> On Saturday, 17 January 2015 at 18:23:45 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> On 1/17/15 10:01 AM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>> In the browser. So that on a reload of the page, the browser,
>> instead of
>> making HTTP calls, uses it's cache.
>
> How do we improve that on our side?
2 things:

a) Set the proper cache headers in the http response.
b) Have a way to bust the cache if you have a new version of an
resource.

If you have both in-place, you can set the expires header to 1
year in the future. Then bust the cache every time you have a new
version of the file.

>>> Yah, we do a bunch of that stuff on facebook.com. It's
>>> significant
>>> work. Wanna have at it?
>> Yes. Please. But the compression thing takes precedence.
>
> Awesome. Don't forget you said this.

I won't.

>> Design is a *very* touchy issue. It is basically a matter of
>> choice.
>> Without a definite choice made, I won't waste my time
>> improving it.
>
> It's clear that once in a while we need to change the design
> just because it's old. Also, there are a few VERY obvious
> design improvements that need be done and would be accepted in
> a heartbeat, but NOBODY is doing them.

If I may suggest, I would split up the site into a couple of
sections. One for Introduction/About, one for Docs/Api, one for
Blogs, one for Community/Forum. Which is basically what everybody
else is doing.

Just some random sites:

http://facebook.github.io/react/
https://www.dartlang.org/

> I'm not an expert in design but I can tell within a second
> whether I like one. Yet no PR is coming for improving the
> design.

Then why not just make a list of sites that we like. And then
design this site like those. It is what all the designers are
doing.