Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 02:43:44 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 10:24:29 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Lately Andrei has worked a lot with improving the dlang.org
> site in various ways. To me it getting more clear and clear
> that Ddoc is not the right tool for building a web site.
> Especially the latest "improvement" [1] shows that it's not a
> good idea to reinvent the wheel, especially when it's not an
> improvement, at all.
>
> Why don't we instead make use of a proper framework both on the
> server side and client side. Personally I would go with Ruby on
> Rails but I know that most of you here would hate that so a
> better suggestion would probably be vibe.d. For the client side
> I'm thinking Bootstrap and jQuery.
>
> The biggest reason why I would prefer Rails is because I know
> everything that is needed is already implemented and easily
> available. I can not say the same thing about vibe.d. But it
> might be enough for dlang.org, I don't know.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m9f558$lbb$1@digitalmars.com
I would agree on this in general. Not sure about Rails (because
it is totally an overkill and may be a pain to maintain) but
everyone has their own preferences for the backend and templating
engine.... in this case even a proper static generator (Jekyll if
you're talking Ruby) with a proper responsive front end (JQuery
+ Bootstrap / Foundation / Semantic UI / whichever) would do. If
it's markdown-based, it would also significantly lower the
barrier for people other than a few devs who would like to
contribute to the docs and website but would hate to do it in
ddoc.