Please help me with improving dlang.org

Kiith-Sa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 05:41:47 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 07:44:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/17/15 11:42 PM, DaveG wrote:
>> On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 04:44:56 UTC, Israel wrote:

>> I'm no designer, but I do have some comments. Without
>> consistency it
>> just looks a bunch of parts rather than a singular thing. Some
>> elements
>> have gradients, some don't. Some elements have round corners,
>> some
>> don't. Elements with borders use different widths, some have
>> none. In
>> regards to borders, we engineering types (maybe it's just me)
>> tend to
>> put boxes around stuff to represent discrete units when basic
>> design
>> concepts, like proximity and contrast, may be better suited
>> for the
>> task. I just took a quick pass at it in the browser:
>> Original:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/current.png
>> Cleanup:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/001.png
>> Cleanup w/o bg:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/002.png
>>
>> Think "consistency and subtlety". Good design generally goes
>> unnoticed.
>
> Looking good. Could you please do a pull request after mine
> gets in? Thanks! -- Andrei

The thing with the red gradients looks incredibly horrible/ bad
constrast actually makes it physically (eye strain) unpleasant.
The cleanup looks better, but now the site has 3 columns with 3
different styles (not just colors, but e.g. flat vs gradient,
edgy vs rounded, having that extra border on the bottom vs not
having it)

Dlang.org needs design by a designer, not by art-insensitive
programmers. No, I'm not much of a designer either,
unfortunately. But it should not be too hard to find a student
with decent art sense who can do much better than this.

Also, note that the collapsible menu can be done in pure CSS, no
JS needed, which would allow it to work consistently even with
NoScript.