Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 06:32:26 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 10:24:29 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Lately Andrei has worked a lot with improving the dlang.org
> site in various ways. To me it getting more clear and clear
> that Ddoc is not the right tool for building a web site.
> Especially the latest "improvement" [1] shows that it's not a
> good idea to reinvent the wheel, especially when it's not an
> improvement, at all.
>
> Why don't we instead make use of a proper framework both on the
> server side and client side. Personally I would go with Ruby on
> Rails but I know that most of you here would hate that so a
> better suggestion would probably be vibe.d. For the client side
> I'm thinking Bootstrap and jQuery.
>
> The biggest reason why I would prefer Rails is because I know
> everything that is needed is already implemented and easily
> available. I can not say the same thing about vibe.d. But it
> might be enough for dlang.org, I don't know.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m9f558$lbb$1@digitalmars.com

I started to experiment with this. The problem we'll get is that
DDOC is not used only for the website. It generates kindle / mobi
/ pdf.
So I see 3 paths here:
1) Implement support for generating the existing target using
Vibe.d.
2) Use DDOC pages as the content, and make Vibe.d use that.
3) Get rid of the other targets, and distribute Ali's book to
those who want offline references.

IMO 1) is way too much work and too few benefit, 2) seems
brittle, so I would go with 3. But we would have to get Andrei
and Walter's approval.