Please help me with improving dlang.org

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 08:33:31 PST 2015

On 1/18/15 5:41 AM, Kiith-Sa wrote:
> The thing with the red gradients looks incredibly horrible/ bad
> constrast actually makes it physically (eye strain) unpleasant. The
> cleanup looks better, but now the site has 3 columns with 3 different
> styles (not just colors, but e.g. flat vs gradient, edgy vs rounded,
> having that extra border on the bottom vs not having it)

I'll replace the gradient with flat colors today.

> Dlang.org needs design by a designer, not by art-insensitive
> programmers. No, I'm not much of a designer either, unfortunately. But
> it should not be too hard to find a student with decent art sense who
> can do much better than this.

I agree. Note that the difficult part for me was (a) finding the right
stuff online, (b) learning the stuff involved in getting it to work on
our site and degrade nicely without javascript, (c) getting the
mechanics integrated.

In the process I changed ONE thing: the colors. EVERYBODY disliked the
colors, but only ONE soul proposed others.

> Also, note that the collapsible menu can be done in pure CSS, no JS
> needed, which would allow it to work consistently even with NoScript.

I searched for ways to do accordion menus without Javascript for maybe a
couple of hours today, no avail. My conclusion was it can't be done, or
at least not with what's available for free. But of course that's based
on two hours' worth of accumulating expertise. I challenge you to make a
pull request that achieves accordion menus without Javascript. Feel free
to start from my branch and change the code from there.

Andrei