Please help me with improving dlang.org

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 09:56:40 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 17:05:28 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 1/18/15 9:02 AM, aldanor wrote:
>> This is usually solved by media queries / responsive design /
>> grid
>> frameworks, sorry if I'm stating the obvious :) Try resizing
>> the
>> commonly used websites and see what happens, e.g. for
>> ruby-lang you have
>> at least 3 "versions" which are selected automatically based
>> on the
>> current viewport's settings which the browser provides:
>> http://imgur.com/a/gE38d
>>
>> E.g. the menus on the left getting folded into one mobile
>> "button" which
>> expands them on demand and leaves more space for the actual
>> content, or
>> some elements disappearing in smaller viewports altogether
>> (like the
>> twitter feed div). This is quite a pain to manage manually
>> without
>> having an underlying grid framework.
>
> My understanding is there are various simpler way to do this,
> e.g. separate styles for small screen devices, redirection to a
> different URL, setting "hidden" to certain DIVs dynamically
> etc. etc. As you saying there's no way to do this unless we use
> some grid framework I know nothing about and probably need to
> learn? -- Andrei

And yet another thing you gain with (most) frameworks is having
access to the original SASS/LESS. This essentially provides you
with features like inheritance, mixins and default values for CSS
which reduces the boilerplate and makes the whole thing much more
manageable.