Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 10:44:00 PST 2015

"weaselcat" <weaselcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 14:00:57 UTC, aldanor wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm seeing a lot a topics regards about fixing website, styles >> an so
>>> on. Maybe is time to try to raise money and hire someone >> with good
>>> knowledge and of course freetime to work only on it?
>>>
>>> Matheus.
>>
>> It also looks a bit wrong seeing Andrei as one of the core devs >
>> putting so much time into the website issues, styling in > particular
>> (don't get me wrong, this is absolutely fantastic > that someone's
>> willing to do that, thanks Andrei -- and it > looks like most of the
>> community now recognizes the need).
>>
>> It's that any semi-decent web designer would probably do a > better job
>> on the website design and layout while still > spending less time doing
>> that (because they've done it a > hundred times already and/or do it for
>> living). However, not > every web designer can hack on system language
>> internals and > review D PRs!.. So someone needs to step up and do it
>> (and/or > redo it, and/or hire someone to do it).
>>
>> That's just my 2 cents which is purely subjective.
>
> Nobody else has really stepped up to do it, so I think Andrei just took
> it upon himself to do it.
>
> If there was a crowdfunding to pay for designers for a new D website I'd
> definitely chip in a bit, but I don't know how far that would go. I agree
> that the current site seems like an ugly ddoc hack, I just recently tried
> to fix a broken link on the frontpage(should be easy, right?) and was
> confused by ddoc so I had to submit a bug request.

The main problem with the site right now is the content. No amount of
frameworks will improve that. Many pages are just old and obsolete.

I'll look into rewriting some docs. In the meantime styling would be nice
to improve. I wonder what are the typical costs for such work. Thoughts?

Where is the bug? Changing a macro is trivial.