Use proper frameworks for building dlang.org

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 19 05:57:21 PST 2015

On Monday, 19 January 2015 at 13:43:28 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
wrote:
> Bootstrap or PureCSS are just a bunch of CSS helper classes to
> quickly model a responsive and modern site.

It is basically pointless if you know CSS and browser
limitations. You need to view the site in the browsers you target
anyway and add some tweaks.

A programming documentation site's primary use scenario is
desktop/laptop. Making it work really well there should be
priority #1.

> While markup and styling are supposed to be orthogonal, in
> practice they rarely are. With some styling it works (like
> paragraphs, headers), other parts just require a coupling
> between html and css.
>
> You cannot just take some old HTML, apply some css styles and
> have a modern site. A lot of times you have to change the
> order, the nesting of elements or apply wrapper elements to
> achieve a certain look.

Which is why I wrote "HTML5 layout". XSLT can transform and
change order.