Thanks to p0nce for a nicer DConf logo!

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 19 14:02:37 PST 2015

On 1/19/15 4:43 PM, ponce wrote:
> On Monday, 19 January 2015 at 16:30:14 UTC, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Mon, 2015-01-19 at 15:31 +0000, ponce via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> […]
>>>
>>> Dunno, maybe an US person would tell if "Utah" would be preferable to
>>> "UT".
>>
>> I guess it depends if you want non USA people to know the location. I
>> appreciate that everyone inside the USA knows all the state codes, and
>> knows that if you do not specify a country, of course it is in the USA.
>> However, for people not in the USA this knowledge is absent – though
>> people in the USA haven't really cottoned on to that yet.
>>
>> Basically I think D should be a global thing, not a USA-centric one.
>
> My view point:
> - I didn't know what UT meant myself
> - I didn't know where the city was anyway
> - it seems customary for Americans to see city names with the State code
> - but, being a conference in the US, it is expected more US people are
> expected to fill the seats
> - "Orem, Utah" might feel dumb to americans, dunno

Spelling out the state is not "dumb", it's perfectly legitimate. Almost
nobody ever uses this notation, as the state codes are pretty well known.

However, longer state names may be more awkward in a concise badge
graphic (Utah doesn't suffer from this).

The thing is, there are several state abbreviations that always confuse
people. For instance AL is Alabama, but could be Alaska (AK) and AK
might be confused as Arkansas (AR), which may be confused as Arizona (AZ).*

:)

I think bottom line, it's not a slight against any non-Americans to use
a US custom in the US, and it's also not that difficult to find out what
it really means.

-Steve

* disclaimer: before posting this I felt compelled to look all this up
to make sure I got it right :D