Can D get on XBone and PS4?

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 20 20:10:35 PST 2015

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 23:39:44 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I don't think there's any particularly compelling reason to make
> runtime calls from D. You can link C/C++ and D code together
> just
> fine. If you're a gamedev, there's a very high chance that you
> already
> have an engine (presumably C/C++) in place. You'll need to bind
> the
> engine api, not the OS api.
> Trouble with the console OS api's are that they're protected by
> NDA;
> it would probably be pretty dubious to release any such foreign
> language binding here, so each studio would have to do that work
> themselves... unless it were posted on the official dev forums
> or
> something.

Hmm, those NDAs probably explain why no other alternative
compiled language advertises native console support.

> If I had to say there was one thing holding D back, it's Win64
> support
> in LLVM. We really need LDC for comprehensive gamedev. DMD is
> okay for
> game-logic and script-like code, but the codegen isn't good
> enough to
> do really hot work.
> Win64 is almost there in LLVM, the only thing missing that I
> know of
> is CV8 debuginfo. Without that, we can't debug... which is like,
> really important >_<

Well, you're in luck, as the llvm devs just announced the
beginnings of better debug and lldb support for Windows on the
llvm blog: :)

http://blog.llvm.org/2015/01/lldb-is-coming-to-windows.html