D on Slashdot

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 20 23:06:50 PST 2015

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:43:04 -0800
"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I almost nuked my
> entire system with a mistyped `rm -rf` command, as I'm sure every *nix
> person has at least once in his life
my expirience was simply doing `chmod -R 600 /` as root. lucky me. and
i really hate that person who placed '.' and '/' next to each other.

ah, and once i accidentally did dd the wrong way and rewrote my
harddrive with contents of flash pen.

> In many ways it's like D... in spite of all its niggling little
> problems, once I tasted the power of D, I just can't go back to C/C++
> anymore. I used to take pride in being the resident C/C++ guru, but
> nowadays, doing C/C++ is like scratching on chalkboard. I'll do it if I
> have to (my employer pays me to do it, so I tolerate it), but I'd never
> do it again voluntarily. D has ruined my life; I just can't do C/C++
> anymore. :-P
it's almost the same for me. i hate alot of small things in D (that's
why i'm so passioned about them), but i just can't return to C/C++
anymore! it's like going back to MS-DOS. ;-) despite all annoyances D
managed to get the main thing right -- thanks to all people that made
it possible.