D on Slashdot

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 00:56:53 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 08:19:39 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> > i even knew how to quit vi
>> ctrl-c?
> nope! it beeps. ;-)

Duh! Don't console programs know, what ctrl-c is for?

>> BTW, is there a way to make the shell autocomplete file names
>> completely instead of partially?
> huh? shell is completing file name to the first ambiguous char.
> if you
> have files with names "abdu" and "abde", it will autocomplete
> to "abd".
> just hit tab again to see the list of variants. as shell can't
> do
> telepathy yet, you must help it by resolving ambiguity.

Windows console does it elegantly without telepathy: it rolls
through the list of ambiguous names.

>> And in quotes
> quotes are used for preventing autocompletion. ;-)

AFAIK quotes are supposed to treat a string with spaces as a
single argument. I don't see, how this is related to
autocompletion.

>> escaped paths are ugly.
> just don't use paths that needs escaping. ;-)

OK, but that's a weak excuse for an ugly interface. In my
experience quotes work just fine in place of escaping.

>> And autocomplete an empty string too whether it's after a
>> slash or alone.
> sorry, i can't understand you here.

I mean autocomplete without typing a single character. The system
may have no way to type some characters, rolling autocompletion
really helps in this case.

It was quite daunting to see a basic operation of getting a file
name so quirky and ugly.