Emacs D-Mode [was Like Go/Rust, why not to have "func" keyword before function declaration]

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 01:14:01 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 08:41:47 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 1/21/2015 12:19 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> The Emacs D-Mode will only improve if people provide bug
>> reports and
>> fixes. A number of people are doing this for their "pain
>> points". If the
>> Emacs D-Mode is substandard for you, can you at least submit
>> issues
>> presenting the problems.
>
> I wonder why software companies still make it impossible to
> submit bug reports. For example, google:
>
> "submit windows movie maker bug report"
>
> Click on "Reporting and solving computer problems - Windows":
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/reporting-and-solving-computer-problems
>
> Note that there is actually no way to report a problem to
> Microsoft, in spite of what the headings say.

Heh, considering Bill Gates couldn't even figure out how to
_download_ Movie Maker a decade ago, you're way ahead of the
game: ;)

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2008/06/24/full-text-an-epic-bill-gates-e-mail-rant/

> I find this utterly baffling. Why make it so difficult to
> report a bug? Microsoft has always been like this, the only way
> I've ever been able to submit a bug report was if I had a
> friend on the inside who'd carry it in for me.
>
> This is probably why Windows Movie Maker is such a buggy
> program. It hangs constantly, generates corrupt files when
> creating a movie file longer than 2G (about 2 hours), etc.

Probably because Microsoft has so many millions of users that
their bug tracker would be awash with noise.  Google allows
anybody with a google account to post bugs or comment on them for
Chrome and Android, which has led to a ton of noise on their
public bug trackers, along with the benefit of a bunch of bug
reports they'd otherwise never have gotten:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Is it worth the tradeoff?  Maybe not for them, considering the
many untriaged bugs on their trackers, which they haven't
bothered putting somebody on filtering.