D on Slashdot

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 02:11:33 PST 2015

On 1/20/2015 10:43 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Yah, after I switched to Linux, it suddenly dawned on me that MSDOS was
> just a crippled cheap imitation of the *real* command prompt...

Actually, DOS was modeled after CP/M which was modeled after the DEC PDP-11
operating system.

It kinda bugs me that people like to give CP/M all the credit, and say Microsoft
just copied CP/M, when CP/M quite obviously copied the look and feel from DEC.

I learned how to program on DEC machines. DOS felt right at home :-)