D on Slashdot

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 08:34:16 PST 2015

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 08:56:53 +0000
Kagamin via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> >> ctrl-c?
> > nope! it beeps. ;-)
> Duh! Don't console programs know, what ctrl-c is for?
somehow i can't close cmd.exe by hitting ctrl+c. don't console programs
know what ctrl+c is for?

> Windows console does it elegantly without telepathy: it rolls
> through the list of ambiguous names.
this is the worst thing one can do with autocompletion. there is no
single visual clue about where it hit the wall. it just continues to
spit some filenames when i press "tab", replacing the current one. shit!
is it broken or what?

> >> And in quotes
> > quotes are used for preventing autocompletion. ;-)
>
> AFAIK quotes are supposed to treat a string with spaces as a
> single argument. I don't see, how this is related to
> autocompletion.
nope. you are wrong. quotes mark "literal values". there is no sense to
autocomplete literals, as they essentially not filenames. they are
*literals*.

> >> escaped paths are ugly.
> > just don't use paths that needs escaping. ;-)
> OK, but that's a weak excuse for an ugly interface. In my
> experience quotes work just fine in place of escaping.
using a wrong thing to do something may be handy, but this is still
using a wrong thing.

> >> And autocomplete an empty string too whether it's after a
> >> slash or alone.
> > sorry, i can't understand you here.
>
> I mean autocomplete without typing a single character. The system
> may have no way to type some characters, rolling autocompletion
> really helps in this case.
how can you autocomplete without typing? what awkward UI does that and
why?

> It was quite daunting to see a basic operation of getting a file
> name so quirky and ugly.
exactly! that's why i'm installing cygwin on any windows box i plan to
use for a long time: i just can't live with windows' shitty "shell".