D on Slashdot

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 08:38:43 PST 2015

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:36:46 +0000
MattCoder via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 13:19:00 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
> wrote:
> > It is a lot easier to just run "wine dmd" and distribute the
> > finished exe than it is to copy all the development files to
> > the windows computer and run it there.
>
> For what I'm seeing Wine isn't an emulator like VMWare, it's a
> layer, so you can compile with "wine dmd", but can you test your
> software too?

yep. this is way easier than having two very different development
environments. if something works with Wine, there are big chances that
it will work in "real" windows too. so i can do most of the debugging
with Wine and then just test the final exe on windows box. and use most
of my *nix-based dev tools, some of which doesn't even exist on windows.