dlang.org redesign n+1

Sebastiaan Koppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 09:10:08 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 16:30:37 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> This is awesome, and something I'd get behind. Here's a little
> feedback coming from a self-admitted dilettante:
>
> * On my laptop it looks like this: http://imgur.com/v8TC1xq.
> I'm seeing the red menu at the top, the gray sparse box, and
> also an odd fragment of the next page which has a different
> background, a title, and a fragment of code snippet. The way I
> look at it is either you go balls-out with the sparse gray page
> and make it occupy the entire viewport, or you make it smaller
> to allow me to get to some content. As things are I can't stop
> wondering: "Why did they waste all that space so I can't see
> stuff?"
>
> (...)
>
> * Generally I feel I must scroll too much through too little
> (and occasionally crappy - not your fault) content on the
> homepage. There's just so much "air". But that might be part of
> the page's very look and feel, so if people like it no problem.

Agreed. Again, it is a proof-of-concept.

> * Page doesn't seem to load on mobile at all.

Hmm, that is odd. Some other people said the same thing. Loads
fine on mine though...

> * Clicking on "Overview" while I'm on the homepage does
> nothing. But there's no visual indication I'm already on
> "Overview". Also clicking on "Overview" or the logo seem to do
> the same thing. Oh, wait, not all menus are meant to work -
> take that back.

There are no navigational helpers indeed. Didn't know how to get
the current page from within ddoc to set css stuff to highlight
things etc.

> * There's no accordion on "Language Reference" which makes for
> a really tall menu, sometimes even longer than the content
> itself. I find that hard to navigate. Statistically nobody will
> get to "Visual D" and "Community" :o).

Haha. There are some other pages as well that nobody gets to read
in full.

> * Layout is jerky as I reduce the width of the page: sometimes
> the right/left margins are really wide, even on thin viewports,
> thus wasting already precious space, then they get thin, then
> they get wide again, etc.

There is a mismatch between some responsive stuff. Saw it as
well. It's just about playing with thresholds, and alot of
tweaking.

> You should have no trouble building dlang.org on linux
> following the instructions at
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md.

Will look into it.

> The rationale for NOT using /usr/bin/dmd etc. is that
> oftentimes the docs use specific features of the compiler,
> which means you need to build a specific library docs with the
> same compiler version. For the site proper we always use the
> development version of dmd (which by default we assume is
> ../dmd/src/dmd) so people can change the compiler and the docs
> in tandem. Once you get that in place things should work
> smoothly.

Yeah, but where can I get /dmd/src/dmd? Do I need to fork the dmd
source code?