dlang.org redesign n+1

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 11:00:13 PST 2015

On 1/21/15 10:47 AM, bachmeier wrote:
> And it only took me 20 minutes to get to the bottom of the page. Sorry,
> not a fan of that design, though I'm apparently the only one.

There are a few others (including myself) who are not fans of this
sparse homepage. IMHO the sparse design requiring a lot of scrolling
must be the very point to be impactful.

I remember I saw a few sites where scrolling would effect some cool
animation at the top, or would gradually (or suddenly) change the visual
experience entirely, or would display fragments of a really really long
rocket, etc.

As things are now I see the sparse intro and I go - interesting. But I
also see a fragment of the stuff below it, so I'm like - this wasn't
designed for my resolution. So let me scroll down. Then I see those
bands alternating with code snippets, and am like, why do I need to
scroll through all that crap for three clickable things of interest.

I do like the idea of a simple intro homepage with a big invite to
download, but if at all it should be wholesome, not the beginning of an
arduous scrolling workout.

I also like the pages with the menu on the right, they're clean and
luminous. They should have collapsible menus.

Andrei