dlang.org redesign n+1

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 21 16:11:38 PST 2015

On 1/21/2015 3:25 PM, Mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 19:51:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> The Dart one is probably most similar to this proposal. But there definitely
>> is a trend among these sites - a menu across the top, lots of white space,
>> lots of scrolling. I can't say I'm a fan, but it's undeniable what people
>> consider modern. (I like the older style, as it is denser and easier to
>> navigate.)
>
> You forgot Nim:
> http://nim-lang.org
>
> And I personally like Nim's website best.

The slideshow is interesting, though I don't think code should be in them, as it
goes to the next slide too quickly.

> I have to agree with Walter, and prefer the denser design.
>
> This proposal is attractive, though, but the new website trends are too sparse.
> I realize this is the modern trend, but that trend seems to treat eveything like
> a 5" smartphone.

I don't think that's surprising, but a big desktop display and a smartphone are
different enough they need a different mindset. I'm not going to start editing
code on a smartphone in the foreseeable future. I need a BFG 9000 display.