dlang.org redesign n+1

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 22 02:32:19 PST 2015

wrote:
> On 1/21/2015 6:46 AM, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:
>> Just for fun and proof-of-concept I went ahead and forked the
>> dlang.org site. I
>> basically took the `do-what-everybody-else-is-doing` approach:
>
> Thank you very much for doing this! I very much appreciate the
> hard work you put into it.
>
> For comparison, here are some other language front doors:
>
> Swift: https://developer.apple.com/swift/
>
> Go: https://golang.org/
>
> Rust: http://www.rust-lang.org/
>
> C++: http://www.cplusplus.com/
>
> C#: doesn't seem to have one!
>
> Java: http://java.com/en/
>
> Haskell: https://www.haskell.org/
>
> Python: https://www.python.org/
>
> Php: http://php.net/
>
> Objective C:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ProgrammingWithObjectiveC/Introduction/Introduction.html
>
> Typescript: http://www.typescriptlang.org/
>
> Perl: https://www.perl.org/
>
> Ruby: https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
>
> Fortran: http://www.fortran.com/
>
> Dart: https://www.dartlang.org/
>
> The Dart one is probably most similar to this proposal. But
> there definitely is a trend among these sites - a menu across
> the top, lots of white space, lots of scrolling. I can't say
> I'm a fan, but it's undeniable what people consider modern. (I
> like the older style, as it is denser and easier to navigate.)

Why not think outside the box a little? Design trends change
every 3-5 years. I'm sure that users and web designers are
already getting sick and tired of the tablet-friendly layout we
see everywhere and are thinking of ways to improve and change it.
We should think about what the D website needs and maybe we'll
come up with an innovative feature (that others may copy). I've
learned that every website needs its own tailor made solution. D
needs a different approach than C++, Go or Rust. The current
approach of presenting code and the three major points
(Efficiency, (Modelling) Power, Convenience) is not bad at all.

Tools like dub and 3rd party software could be more visible (e.g.
"Build D apps easily with dub the D package manager"). Topics of
interest like "Using D on Windows" should be visible immediately.

Let's first think about the content, what's important and the
ways to structure it properly. The layout can be adapted and
jazzed up later.