Emacs D-Mode [was Like Go/Rust, why not to have "func" keyword before function declaration]

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 22 04:44:21 PST 2015

On 1/21/15 1:39 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/21/2015 8:23 AM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> this simply not work.
>
> Neither does Windows Moviemaker. It hung again on me.

Just FYI iMovie works just fine ;)

>> and not worth it.
>
> WMM is over a decade old, and it still hangs doing something as simple
> as trimming off the start and the end. And not rarely, either. It does
> it constantly.

This is pretty bad. I remember in college we had a "movie lab" which had
lots of hi-end PCs running NT 4.0, with, among other things, 3D-studio
max. In the 3d-graphics class I took, one of our assignments was to use
3DSM to animate something with certain requirements. The thing crashed
so frequently that several students made 3d-animations focused on how
horrible 3DSM was :)

When software you are using that is supposed to make things easier gets
in the way, you may as well not use it.

> Why even ship such a product you have no intention of fixing bugs for?
> It's a net negative for one's image.

I wonder if it's for a bullet point. I know my sister-in-law has made
videos with WMM (and she is NOT a techie), but they were simple movies.
Perhaps if you want to do anything super-involved, it's not ready for
the job.

Also, in one company I worked for, we had a paid contract with Microsoft
for fixing bugs. I worked for months with them on a bug in one of their
advanced server systems. In the end, they narrowed it down to the fact
that the system required MSSQL express (not full version), which only
worked with a shared-memory interface. Something in their server just
didn't work right. So we had to install full-blown MSSQL which was
configured only to use network connection. Then in about 6 months they
discontinued that advanced server product. Then I rewrote the whole
thing in Linux ;)

Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft is simply a marketing arm of other OSes...

But I am surprised MS does not have some way to get reasonable paid
support for their software. Apple gives you 1 year free
software/hardware support when you buy a Mac. I can fully understand not
offering "Free" support. Not everyone is a Walter Bright.

-Steve