Data-Oriented Demo: SOA, composition via crazy 'using'

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 22 06:19:33 PST 2015

Fool:

> Jonathan Blow published another video [1] presenting the
> progress of his language. He is treating two main topics:
>
>  - a keyword preliminary called 'using' which seems to be quite
> close to 'alias this';
>  - an annotation SOA for pointers and arrays which allow high
> level treatment of structures of arrays;
>
> Jonathan does not seem to be aware of 'alias this' in D.

In D there is also the under-used with() statement. You can
sometimes replace his "using" with "with" in D.

Regarding his SOA and AOS annotations for pointers, arrays and
_structures_, they are nice. Adding a SOA array in
std.collections seems a good idea (but it can't cover all usages
of his SOA and AOS keywords). (But I'd like some performance
benchmarks that show the advantages of those things in practice).

See also:
http://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/2t6xqz/jai_demo_dataoriented_features_soa_crazy_using/

Bye,
bearophile