dlang.org redesign n+1

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 22 06:54:15 PST 2015

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 at 14:15:58 UTC, ref2401 wrote:
> Can we just get back the old design, please?

I think it's a waste of time to make the website look "modern"
while what we really need is to point out the topics of interest
(better):

What is D?

- Systems programming language
- Native (three compilers: dmd, ldc, gdc)
- C++/C like
- Modelling power
- Modern convenience
- Cross platform
- Interacts with C/C++
- Community driven (free, boost license)
- Benchmarks (+ examples)

AND also very important

- (Build) tools (dub, dvm)
- GUI toolkits
- third party libraries
- Guide to Windows integration
- ... (please fill in)

(basically all the major points that newbies ask about on the
forum)

The layout should be clear and simple ("one-click-shops"),
whether we jazz it up later is not so important now. I know that
hours and days can be wasted with getting the CSS and JS right,
however a convenient and clear structure are more important now
than shiny icons and the like. In fact, thinking about the
content/structure might give rise to new ideas as regards the
design. If the design is there first, it adds unnecessary
constraints regarding the structure / content, i.e. the free flow
of ideas.