D on Slashdot

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 22 08:13:19 PST 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:29:57 +0000
Kagamin via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> >> Duh! Don't console programs know, what ctrl-c is for?
> > somehow i can't close cmd.exe by hitting ctrl+c. don't console
> > programs
> > know what ctrl+c is for?
> Well, maybe because it's a shell, not a utility?
shell is a console utility.

strangely, ctrl+c is not working in FAR too. it's not a shell. it's
obvious console.

> It fills in file names which match what you typed, this is
> exactly what autocompletion is for. What's so difficult to
> understand there?
it's difficult to understand how it does thelepaty. from my expiriense,
it's thelepaty is completely wrong each time. and with putting the
whole filename i don't even know where was ambiguty (and if it was at
all). so "afjgjoe" means, that this is the only match, or there are
more matches? nobody knows, until he hits tab again. and then he lost
his "afjgjoe" and have to either tabbing furiously to get it back, or
type it manually. perfectly unusable "autocompletion".

i must tell you that all my built-in command consoles were using this
scheme for years, so i have alot of expirience with it. now i dropped
it, 'cause it's usability sux.

> Literal means just a value typed in directly instead of being
> taken from a variable, that's all to it.
good luck redefining what the shell does from the times when "windows"
was a term from housebuilding.

> So yeah, escaping is for literals too, if you like them so much.
> And not a single word about file names and changing meaning of a
> literal, you made it up. If you care about linux, learn it,
> ignorance won't do you any good.
*i* have *no* problems using *nix shells. with all my ignorance and
flawed understanding. maybe that's 'cause i know how it was intended to
work, and it indeed works that way? you know what? *i* don't have to
read any documentation to understand why autocompletion on quoted
strings is not working. and *you* have troubles to understand it even
with documentation. isn't it strange?

i was trying to explain you what's going on. ah, ok, good luck arguing
with machine code, telling it that it must do not what it do.

> >> I mean autocomplete without typing a single character. The
> >> system may have no way to type some characters, rolling
> >> autocompletion really helps in this case.
> > how can you autocomplete without typing?
>
> As usual - by putting a file name from ambiguity list, which
> consists of all files in the current directory in this case.
>
> > what awkward UI does that and why?
>
> As I explained, the file can start with a difficult to type
> character, requiring to type it is unnecessarily daunting.
and you know what? if you hit tab twice on empty line in bash, you'll
eventually see something like this:

  Display all 4788 possibilities? (y or n)

good luck browsing thru that.