dlang.org redesign -- general thoughts and issues [part 1]

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 04:32:00 PST 2015

On 2015-01-23 11:31, aldanor wrote:
> Hi all, I've started redesigning dlang.org AGAIN (yea, I know...). The
> front page is mostly done aside from a several responsiveness and
> platform quirks, I will have the full landing page + a random sample
> page from the docs this weekend. On the technical side, rapid design +
> ddoc and working with pure css don't work well together, so it's going
> to be a static page or two and if/when everyone/anyone's happy with it,
> it can be pulled apart into those fugly ddoc macros. An easy example of
> why that's the case would be changing the color scheme or general
> styling of multiple components -- in sass/less you can just do a
> "@active-component: darken(@martian-red, 5%);" and that will fix all the
> inherited ones across the stylesheet. Same applies to reorganizing
> content in drastic ways. If using node as a dependency to compile assets
> is acceptable, this would sure the preferred way; otherwise, the
> compiled assets could be frozen/minified and checked back in. More about
> design-specific stuff later in another post.

For Sass there's libsass [1] with bindings already available [2]. For
running JavaScript (Less) there are a couple of alternatives:

* Google V8
* Mozilla Rhino
* Apple JavaScriptCore - Included with Mac OS X
* Microsoft Windows Script Host (JScript)
* DMDScript [3]

In the Ruby world there's a gem that automatically chooses the best
scripting host depending on the platform.

[1] http://libsass.org
[2] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/hdbsilimsxzhlruthign@forum.dlang.org
[3] http://code.dlang.org/packages/dmdscript

--