dlang.org redesign -- general thoughts and issues [part 1]

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 04:59:20 PST 2015

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 12:47:36 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Top-level-link: CHANGELOG
> It's updated when there's a new release.

Not always -- e.g. there's several notes on 2.067 there already.
I always thought that updating the changelog right after you fix
something is easier than trying to recall whatever it was the
hell you were working on half a year later and/or recover it from
commits and pull requests, but to each his own, I guess. Plus,
the changelog will have to be there anyway before the release so
it's unavoidable. The question is whether it should be updated
more frequently or in a more organized fashion. It's good
publicity and it's nice to have a "sneak peek" of the next
release to keep people excited, all I'm saying.

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 12:47:36 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Top-level links: STANDARD LIBRARY, D REFERENCE
> I think they deserve being top-level links.

I'd argue that the top links should be "Learn" (official D
newcomer's guide which is not written yet, more about it on my
gotchas and faqs / porting c/c++ / books and articles) and "Docs"
(which would be: standard library / language reference / official
style guide). These two are intertwined and scattered all over
the place on D website. Examples: http://ocaml.org/ ("Learn" /
"Documentation"),  http://www.rust-lang.org/ ("Book" /
"Reference"), etc. This would be much more newbie-friendly. For D
veterans, we could just add shortcuts to quickly jumping to
stdlib or language reference.