Calypso and the future of D

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 08:00:19 PST 2015

On 1/23/15 12:34 AM, Max Klyga wrote:
> I remember Walter arguing against this type of solutions because it
> requires a C++ compiler to be bundled with D.

It doesn't require as much as makes it usable if you have it. Calypso
requires dmd + clang++ is the natural dependency direction.

> Does that mean that now we are adopting this path instead of
> 'extern(C++)' ?

I see it more like "with the help of" rather than "instead of". The
extern(C++) feature is porcelain over a bunch of compiler internals that
make it possible to use C++ in conjunction with D.

We should foster and support "plugin" tools like Calypso that add value
to the D environment.

Andrei