Speeding up compilation by using jemalloc

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 08:59:40 PST 2015

On Thursday, 22 January 2015 at 19:37:11 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> Might be of use to someone, but I was looking for ways to speed
> up dmd's albeit already fast compilation times.
>
> Just by dropping in jemalloc in place of glibc's malloc via
> LD_PRELOAD on my linux machine I saw a 10-15% drop in
> compilation times across the board. Not sure if this is common
> knowledge or not.

Might be interesting to try some other implementations, too?
TCMalloc[0] and nedmalloc[1] at least have permissive licenses.
(Hoard[2] and Lockless[3] also seem interesting, but are GPL or
worse.)

-Wyatt

[0] Part of gperf-tools https://code.google.com/p/gperftools/
[1] http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html