dlang.org redesign -- general thoughts and issues [part 1]

aldanor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 09:58:43 PST 2015

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 17:41:21 UTC, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> Basically, I suggest consciously addressing these four
> demographics in designing the site:
>
> 1. Experienced programmers, new to D.
>
> 2. Beginning programmers.
>
> 3. Experienced D users.
>
> 4. The community. Publications, social events, news chatter.
Agreed.

I personally think #1 is the most troublesome (although all four
points will need to be addressed). E.g., Ali's book is more aimed
at #2, whereas most other resources are more aimed at #3. There
has to be a "I know how to code, give me some D already, now!"
sort of a brief guide which would introduce you to the COOL parts
that are different in D or that make it stand out. An experienced
programmer could just jump into metaprogramming part right away
because it's FUN... but that usually doesn't come until page 500
of the book...

Regarding #4, I don't think anyone would support my highly
subjective opinion because everyone's used to how things are, but
here goes anyway: (1) mailing lists are too 90s, there exist many
modern platforms that are better suitable for modern web and
mobile, the current forum is actually a heroic attempt to make
something usable out of a mailing list but that's that. No syntax
highlighting, no editing? Come on... (2) bugzilla is too
unfriendly; using github issues for review queues, milestone
tracking, bug tracking, issue tracking and referencing would be
easier than scattering all that across 4 different websites (that
aren't updated anyway). I have found a good amount of bugs in my
D experience but I'm guilty of not submitting a single one
because I don't feel like making an account on bugzilla -- and
I'm not planning too, it instantly repulses me as soon as I open
the page; plus it's unintuitive to browse, contains outdated
issues and just feels foreign in general.