Calypso and the future of D

Elie Morisse via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 10:27:11 PST 2015

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 00:24:45 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I think it's important that we enable Calypso
> (https://github.com/Syniurge/Calypso) and related tooling that
> interfaces D with other languages, notably C++.
>
> A key topic in 2015 for D is playing well with C++. A good C++
> interface will give access to a host of mature C++ libraries,
> starting of course with the C++ standard library. More
> importantly, it will provide a smooth migration path for
> organizations that want to do development in D whilst taking
> advantage of their legacy code.
>
> I'd like to open the topic of "what can we do in core D to make
> Calypso better".
>
> But first, I want to get better acquainted with Calypso and
> raise awareness of it with coworkers and the larger community.
> To my dismay, the github homepage provides exactly zero "look
> and feel" use examples beyond the mechanics of building Calypso
> itself.
>
> To Calypso's creator: is it possible to beef up the
> documentation of Calypso with a few use cases? Ideally there'd
> be a soup-to-nuts step by step guide of making a C++ library
> (either artificial or extant) interfacing with D. Also: what
> things on the D side would be necessary to make the interface
> better? Exceptions would be an obvious topic on which we have
> an attack already (more on it later).

Andrei thanks for finally sharing your thoughts on the matter :-)

I'll see what I can do this week-end to expand examples and write
a tutorial.

As for what could be done in core D, I haven't struck anything
blocking while writing Calypso. Exception catching is next after
the first light of my Ogre3D demo, Clang will probably simplify
handling of C++ exceptions a lot.