dlang.org redesign -- general thoughts and issues [part 1]

Orvid King via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 23 14:44:51 PST 2015

On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 19:20:11 UTC, aldanor wrote:
> On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 19:18:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Friday, 23 January 2015 at 13:39:23 UTC, Christof Schardt
>> wrote:
>>> "aldanor" <i.s.smirnov at gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> news:didzczqdggjchqgtgvti at forum.dlang.org...
>>>
>>> Very sensible considerations. I think your way is the right
>>> way to go: first think about structure, then presentation
>>> and finally style.
>>
>> Yep. And please: accessibility. We wouldn't want to put off
>> visually impaired users. JS gives them pain.
>
> Yep, that crossed my mind as well, good point. You sort of get
> that for free when using mature css frameworks since all
> elements
> are already ridden with things like 'role="navigation"' etc :)

Although I like the new look overall, there are a few things on
the docs for the standard library that aren't the best they could
be.

Currently a jump-to list is generated for all elements with
children, regardless of the number of them. I believe that no
jump list (apart from the one to navigate the entire page) should
be shown if there are 2 items or less, because the user can
already see the entire content that would be linked to.

Now on to the positioning of the jump links themselves. Currently
they are positioned above the declaration of the element who's
children it jumps to. I believe that the jump links should
instead be in the body of the element, after the description, but
immediately before any children.

Children with overloads
(http://dlang.org/phobos/std_socket.html#.SocketOSException.this)
don't currently merge like the they do at the top-most level.

Enums should probably be formatted differently from normal types,
with a table of it's members rather than a list, as enum member
descriptions tend to be more minimal. Parhaps use a table-view
when there is only one line for the description of every member
of the enum, and the current list view otherwise?