dlang.org redesign n+2 (the one with the bold red vertical menu)

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 24 09:01:23 PST 2015

On Saturday, 24 January 2015 at 11:36:58 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> The search "area" doesn't look good, especially the drop down.
> For example it's not possible to style the arrow in the drop
> down on Firefox. When you try to do that it falls back to some
> style that looks like something from Windows 95 (I'm using OS
> X).

Oh, I must have botched that. It works for me in Firefox and
Chromium.

Just checked Firefox and IE on Windows. Firefox doesn't display
the triangle, apparently missing the glyph. Should be possible to
fix. IE refuses the arrow styling completely and shows its own
thing, which is ok. Can't check OS X.

This is what it's supposed to look like:
<http://i.imgur.com/70guZgC.png> (ignore the dark background in
the logo).

> In general, don't style drop downs (including setting the
> width) unless you completely replace them with something else,
> like this [1].
>
> [1] http://silviomoreto.github.io/bootstrap-select/

That's basically a JS implementation of <select>, right? I'd
prefer a CSS solution, if possible.

dlang.org actually got a nice CSS-only <select> lately. I had
looked at the PR, and I think I pretty much took the
implementation from it. So if the current one works, I'm
confident mine can be fixed in CSS alone.