Calypso and the future of D

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 01:58:24 PST 2015

On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 08:59:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/26/2015 12:18 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>
>> Calypso is not a separate tool. It's a fork of LDC which
>> allows you to directly
>> import/include a C++ header files and use the declarations
>> from within D. No
>> bindings or intermediate files are necessary.
>
> Thank you. That really, really needs to go into the README.md,
> especially the last paragraph.

Now I feel sorry for Elie. He contributed a great idea, put in a
huge amount of work, still has miles to go, tried hard to be
helpful and D's very own mastermind does not seem to care enough
to read his announcement. His very first sentence reads

"I have the pleasure to announce to you all the existence of a
modified LDC able to interface directly to C++ libraries, wiping
out the need to write bindings:"

The idea is just brilliant. I for one am excited about the
prospect. Lets please discuss how to get the plugin into D,
sooner rather than later. No language is an island. (Apologies to
Nick Hornby and everyone else offended.)