One area where D has the edge

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 12:19:08 PST 2015

On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 18:53:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 January 2015 at 21:50:53 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> And beyond slower execution speed  of Java, the memory bloat
>> makes a big difference given how cloud pricing works (its
>> peanuts to get a machine with a gig of ram, but 64 gig is not
>> so cheap, and quickly gets very expensive - and one may need
>> hundreds of machines).
>
> Yes, but memory bloat is not D's strength either until manual
> memory management is addressed in a satisfactory manner. Rust
> is way ahead.

It seems to me (as a newcomer) that often with D it is the gap
between what the language wants to be, and the present reality
that upsets people, whereas pragmatically it remains much better
than the alternatives even if you have to do a bit of extra work
to allocate manually.  It is like seeing a beautiful woman marred
by a flaw that you just can't seem to ignore until you get to
know her as a person.  (No apologies for sexism here).  The
problems of garbage collection in D seem different to those of GC
(and memory bloat) in Java whereas people hear GC and not quite
perfect and they instantly slot it into their mental slot of GC
collected languages, which means Java.

Does Rust have the productivity of D?  And it doesn't have the
maturity, as I understand it.