LOL, reddit comment

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 17:41:29 PST 2015

I was just surfing reddit and this exchange with Walter made me
LOL, talking about students who learn programming for the first
time in college:

Walter: Why would you say that? Very few of them actually even
studied CS - they learned programming on the side. As did I, my
degree is in mechanical engineering. I learned programming from
reading DEC reference manuals and annoying my friends with
idiotic questions like "what's a register?"
Starting programming in college is not too late at all.

Kasper-Hauser: I think it was too late in your case judging from
the fruits it has borne. D should stand for dumb. I'm convinced
your're a plant from the mechanical engineering cartel trying to
dumb down our industry.
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2tou4y/techs_high_barrier_to_entry_for_the/co171cp

Skimming the guy's other comments now, I guess he's a big Haskell
fan, and somehow looks down on D.

I've often thought that it's precisely because Walter is not a CS
grad and has a real engineering background that D is so good,
particularly since it means he's less likely to go chasing the CS
fad of the moment.  Also, I'd guess that's where his pragmatic
bent with the language comes from and must influence his
particular sense of usability and technical design.  We've
certainly all heard enough about how Boeing does it, particularly
when it comes to failsafe reliability. ;)