accept @pure @nothrow @return attributes

Zach the Mystic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 18:15:53 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 01:49:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/26/2015 5:45 PM, uri wrote:
>> I get the impression it will never be finished because too
>> many are afraid of
>> important breaking changes that seem necessary to get through
>> the last 5%-10% of
>> D2.
>
> Half want breaking changes, the other half wants stability.

I don't know if 'dfix' will be everything I hope it would be, but
I would place my bets on it (not that I have much to bet). I
think Go has shown decisive leadership on this aspect of language
design and maintenance, and I haven't yet heard any negative
reports about 'gofix'. If 'dfix' can't work, for some reason I
haven't thought of, then somebody just needs to write a big
article justifying D's peculiarities, explaining all the
tradeoffs, and why the final decisions were made. Then all
newcomers can be referred to those articles. But I suspect the
reason these issues keep coming up is that they're still alive. I
see 'dfix' as a potential win-win, opening up huge possibilities
for issues previously thought out-of-the-question.

What's keeping you from committing to 'dfix' as the way to solve
issues like the one in this thread?