521 days, 22 hours, 7 minutes and 52 seconds...

Jakob Ovrum via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 18:20:47 PST 2015

On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 18:19:18 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:09:45AM -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu
> via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> ...is what took to get std.experimental.logger in Phobos.
>>
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1500
>>
>> A time to celebrate! Many thanks to Robert who carried it
>> through a
>> long gestation, Dicebot for managing the review process, and
>> everybody
>> who provided feedback, especially Martin Nowak for his ideas.
> [...]
>
> Certainly, this deserves celebration!
>
> But OTOH, if *this* is what it takes to contribute a new module
> Phobos, then it's no wonder we have trouble finding
> contributors...
> Most would give up before they even try. I think there's an
> imbalance
> here between the quality of existing Phobos modules vs. the
> quality
> expected of future Phobos modules.

To be quite frank, the code was initially quite bad. Design
decisions aside, there were many errors like not using attributes
correctly and having messy algorithms with exponential time
complexity. This hasn't been the case with all Phobos proposals.

(Also, valid criticisms were sometimes forgotten for a long time,
and there were sometimes several months between patches, but
things like these are unavoidable in a volunteer environment.)

> Whatever happened to incremental
> refinement??  Do we really expect flawless perfection before
> merging to,
> of all places, std.*experimental*?

The deal to include it into std.experimental was only introduced
at the very end of the review process.