accept @pure @nothrow @return attributes

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 20:10:23 PST 2015

On 1/26/15 7:25 PM, Zach the Mystic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 02:40:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 1/26/2015 6:15 PM, Zach the Mystic wrote:
>>> What's keeping you from committing to 'dfix' as the way to solve
>>> issues like the
>>> one in this thread?
>>
>> Inertia of people being reluctant to use it. It's still work for
>> people to use, it's not part of their build process.
>
> What about compiler integration? I'm talking about fundamental language
> changes. Why would people use it if it didn't have official backing and
> wasn't part of the compiler package? In this post:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/uimpnhiweuitnnbeqshu@forum.dlang.org
>
> ... I said: 'For example, let's say dfix is included with the compiler
> package.
> Now you get an error, saying: "Error: `@nogc` is no longer
> accepted, but can be automatically replaced with `nogc`. Run dfix
> on this file? (y/n)"... or whatever is deemed the secure approach
> to this feature.'
>
> That's what I mean by "commiting to dfix."

I'm ready to commit to dfix. Problem is many of the changes suggested
are unlikely to mark much improvement, while miring us in the perpetual
illusion of making progress. The fact that we can avail ourselves of a
tactical tool that makes changes easy is helpful but also opens
opportunity of abuse.

Let's stop shuffling the deck. I mean it. Stop shuffling the freaking
deck. Fix the real issues in the language. Add new libraries. Be
original. Be creative. Do real work.

Thanks,

Andrei