One area where D has the edge

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 26 22:08:32 PST 2015

> There was also this one from 1998 that was very small
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/article/2076641/learn-java/an-introduction-to-the-java-ring.html
>
> Java has some history running on small devices.
>
> Cheers,
> uri

Indeed, and I remember that well.

However I was less interested in embedded devices and what java
could do under conditions of small memory, and more interested in
its memory efficiency on servers in managing much larger data
sets.  Since it seems to me we are still early in the unfolding
of current trends, and what is true today mostly for google and
Facebook may be more widely true for others tomorrow.

I do appreciate that java is comparable in execution speed to
native code in many cases.  Is its memory footprint really
comparable?  And if you have a small team, and not much time, how
does that change things - D vs Java?  I don't think for D GC
matters so much as not real time and you can easily preallocate
buffers.

But don't let me stop you talking about small devices.