D Management Site

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 27 13:09:11 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 27 January 2015 at 20:59:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-01-27 19:10, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> Would people want and use a website that tracks who's working
>> on what in
>> the D Programming Language?  People would go to the site and
>> be able to
>> find out what's being worked on, what's not being worked on,
>> who's
>> working on what, what bugs are being worked on. People will
>> have to use
>> the site and submit what they are working on though.  I'd be
>> willing to
>> write such a site if people think it would be useful.
>
> I would assume you mean something not just for the D core
> project but for the whole D community. Like, is someone working
> on a GUI library, who is working on database adapters, and so
> on.

I wasn't going to explore this anymore but since you asked :) Yes
it would apply to the whole D community.  I jotted down some
notes to summarize some of my initial thoughts on the features it
could provide...here they are:

Problems mapped to Features
-------------------------------------
Problem: Knowing what people want.
Features: "Priority Points"

Problem: Knowing what the leadership wants.
Features: "Priority Points" and "Follow Developers"

Problem: Knowing what isn't being worked on.
Features: "Job Managment"

Problem: Getting the status of a job
Features: "Job Managment"

Problem: Asking leadership what to work on
Features: "Messages"

Problem: Notification of work being done
Features: "Messages"

Features
-------------------------------------

* Job Management

   Tracks what people are working on.

* Priority Points

    Everyone can distribute their 100 priority points to the
features they want.  It's important that everyone get's 100
points.  It allows a person to realize that if they want a
feature done, it is going to take resources away from other
features.

* Follow Developers

    their actions show up in your feed
    their priority points for each issue are shown first

* Messages

    send messages to developers
    get notifications of activity, when work is done, if a PR
needs to be reviewd

* Timeline

   can add dev time estimates

* ranking??
* track who's looking at what (if someone clicks on a link, it
tracks that the link was clicked)
* add dependencies between jobs
* link a job to a PR