Window creation, for phobos?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 27 14:04:55 PST 2015

I have dream! A dream, dream dream. A dream to see GUI's easy to use in
D! I must admit it will be hard, but it's time. Prime time I mean!

Now enough gabble.
I'm proposing to get Devisualization.Window PR'd into phobos.

This cannot happen right now. It's blocked on many fronts.
1) Objective-C bridge. The most obvious one for OSX
2) An image definition depends on color
3) OpenGL loading mechanism such as Derelict-GL3
4) X11 bindings for posix (easy not an issue)
5) More WinAPI bindings (easy not an issue)
6) Cocoa bindings (easy not an issue, just dependent on the bridge)
7) A color definition

So this idea will take a long time to happen, and that's ok.

First off, Derelict-Util/Derelict-GL3 is a biggy here. Its old code,
lets admit it. Its also a standard for loading shared library functions.
So Mike Parker, would you be willing for this to be PR'd? And if so, are
we ok with this?

Manu Evans has said he is working on a color module, any update on that?
Jacob Carlborg, how far off is the objective-c bridge? Has any
definitions to e.g. Cocoa been started either?

Once we have a color definition then it'll be time to start work on an
image definition/implementation.
There is a few already present, ae, dlib and Devisualization.Image
exist. The color implementation will change, but most of the code should
not for each.
Anyone willing to start working on something?

The benefits of this will greatly outweigh the work that this will take
to do and maintain. Just having a standard window + context interface
will greatly make GUI toolkits more interchangeable. Not to mention for
game development.