Window creation, for phobos?

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 27 23:48:41 PST 2015

On 2015-01-27 23:04, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> I have dream! A dream, dream dream. A dream to see GUI's easy to use in
> D! I must admit it will be hard, but it's time. Prime time I mean!

Oh, it's time for GUI season again :).

> Now enough gabble.
> I'm proposing to get Devisualization.Window PR'd into phobos.

What exactly are you proposing, just to be able to get a window or a
full GUI library? Will this include some event handler/event processing
as well?

> This cannot happen right now. It's blocked on many fronts.
> 1) Objective-C bridge. The most obvious one for OSX

A bridge is a bad idea. D needs first class support for Objective-C,
i.e. extern (Objective-C). But perhaps that's what you're referring to?

> 6) Cocoa bindings (easy not an issue, just dependent on the bridge)

It depends on what you need. It's not really hard, just tedious and time
consuming. If you don't need a full set of Cocoa bindings it's hopefully
not a problem.

BTW, DStep can generate bindings for Objective-C code.

> Jacob Carlborg, how far off is the objective-c bridge?

If you refer to extern (Objective-C) I'm redoing it for the third time,
now splitting it up in multiple pull requests. The first pull request
has been created [1], although it hasn't received much review yet, at
least not from any core developers (that I know of).

> Has any definitions to e.g. Cocoa been started either?

Maybe. There's someone in the forums that has started to use
D/Objective-C. He has created bindings [2] for AppKit, Foundation and
WebKit. I have no idea about the quality of the bindings and how
complete they are.

I also have a lot of bindings [3] for my old Objective-C bridge. It
should be possible to do some regular expression search-and-replace to
adapt them to D/Objective-C, if desired.

As said above, DStep can generate bindings for Objective-C.

[1] https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4321
[2] https://github.com/DiveFramework/DiveFramework/tree/master/Interfaces
[3] http://dsource.org/projects/dstep/browser/dstep

--