D Management Site

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 06:56:05 PST 2015

On 1/28/15 3:18 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 04:05:10 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 01:09:25 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Before doing anything I'd suggest trying to reach main DMD/Phobos
>>> developers and ask them what kind of tools they feel lacking and what
>>> they would personally use. Such solution is only useful if it solves
>>> real problems of developers and thus is not viewed as additional
>>> maintenance burden. As Andrei has mentioned, there was one attempt of
>>> using Trello for similar purposed some time ago and it didn't catch up.
>>
>> Isn't that what this forum post is for?  To see what the core
>> DMD/Phobos developers would like.  Is there another place to post this
>> sort of question?
>
> Maybe it is worth duplicating to dmd-internals mail list and with CC to
> those who actively contribute to DMD. To be honest I don't even know who
> is currently in active D development team.

Folks active on the github repo are pretty much it.

> In this thread I see Andrei and Vladimir but neither seem very
> enthusiastic.

For my money I do think we could gain a bit by organizing ourselves
better, but not a lot. We have a problem of scarce resources more than
one of resource allocation. D's issues and their relative importance are
very well known. Framing it all as a matter of "these folks need better
management" would be simplistic.

That said, high-level vision is always good to have and communicate.
Also, whilst it's clear to the insiders what's going on, we need to
better communicate what's happening. Adam's weekly newsletter is part of
that, but we could do more.

>> Do you have some more details on what this priority communication
>> would look like.  I can document it in my list of desirable features.
>
> It is better to ask Martin - I don't take part in any of those and have
> roughly as much understanding of the process as you do :)
>
> But one thing that has occured to me is that we don't really need any
> complicated tool - just creating dedicated
> D-Programming-Language/bigpicture repo with issues enabled (editable
> only by core devs) and moving stuff from http://wiki.dlang.org/Agenda
> there in form of milestones and issues with link aggregation would be
> enough.

Yes, I think that would be useful.

> But, again, my opinion has zero value here.

Save it :o). I am very biased toward listening to people who contribute.

Andrei