[website redesign] PR for the one with the big red menu bar

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 28 11:32:14 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 06:50:05PM +0000, anonymous via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 at 16:13:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >I like it. The grey on the left panel is a bit too dark, though.
> >Maybe a touch brighter?
> >
> >OTOH, if the point is to match it with the grey on the right stream
> >boxes, then I guess it's OK.
>
> Yes, it's the same background color: #333 or hls(0,0%,20%) (i.e.
> lightness = 20%).
>
> The menu vanishes a bit with that background, doesn't it? It looks
> rather slick, though.

Looking at both variants side-by-side, I think your grey version is much
better. The original design is far too red. However, the grey version is
also noticeably darker; maybe both the menu and the stream boxes on the
right should be lightened up a bit? I'm thinking even a silver-metallic
look might work. I'm no graphic designer, though, so take my word with a
grain of salt. :-)

> I can't seem to find a good border color for a lighter menu
> background, because the lightness of the border comes close to that of
> the page background, and they blend.

What about making both brighter?

The two rules of success: 1. Don't tell everything you know. -- YHL